While their cardiology colleagues are extravagantly indulging in coronary arteries ,It is heartening to note the pediatricians our country has silently come out with the first India specific criteria for Acute Rheumatic fever diagnosis and management.
It was long over due . . . three cheers to them !
* It is ironical these guidelines came in 2008,many of us are aware about the existence such guidelines , still every one is after PTMC for a full blown mitral stenosis !
Highlights and Summary
- WHO criteria of 2001 is adopted
- ASO titre positivity alone has less value in the diagnosis .Hence the importance of which is down graded
- Steroids are mandatory in all grades of carditis for 12 weeks
- Benzathine penicillin should be administered weight based and to be given every 15 days in children less than 27 kg.
More high lights will be posted.
Secondary prophylaxis of for Rheumatic fever