- Diabetes , smoking , hypertension , dyslipidemia are the leading cause of cardiac morbidity and mortality .
- Now air pollution the( passive atmospheric smoking !) is threatening to be a major risk factor .
- In fact , it has become the official cardiac risk factor nominated by WHO !
- 40 % of all deaths due to air pollution is due to cardiac events .
- The surprise element is indoor air pollution is equally injurious .
WHO bulletin in March 2014
The WHO assessment found the majority of air pollution deaths were linked with cardiovascular diseases.
For deaths related to outdoor pollution, it found:
- 40% – heart disease
- 40% – stroke
- 11% – chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- 6% – lung cancer
- 3% – acute lower respiratory infections in children
For deaths related to Indoor pollution, it found:
- 34% – stroke
- 26% – heart disease
Related article from this site