Echocardiography has evolved over half a century . As it was pioneered by cardiologists , it is still believed to be an exclusive tool of cardiologists ! In reality , it can have a wide spread clinical application , as we recognize now.
Echocardiography can be useful in the assessment of
- Central volume status of a person in shock .It can be analysed by IVC diameter ,(IVC < 1cm hypovolemia >2cm elevated CVP ,
- Assessing rehydration by Tricuspid flow velocity .
- Acute pulmonary embolism , the first change could be dilatation of main pulmonary artery( later RV )
- ECHO can be a screening tool for any patient in shock or acute dyspnea.
- All neurologic emergencies -To screen for cardiac source of embolus
- Pericardial space assessment in suspected tamponade.
- It is of vital use in suspected acute aortic syndromes.
- Even , live hemodynamic data from TEE probe is possible in a critically ill person.
Here is a 5 star rated website , dedicated to critical care Echocardiography