In the early 20th century , Waller invented the ECG machine. Wilson created leads and methods to record it. Eienthoven formulated the concepts the electrical theory behind ECG.
Between 1940-197os one man ruled supreme in the world of electro cardiography . He is Dr Sodi pallares from Mexico. His deep insights revolutionised and helped us understand how the cardiac electricity is generated and propagated in various pathological states that is the beginning new age electrocardiography! It adds much to his credit , as in those days scientists from non American and European countries were hard to come in the global limelight.
Some of his thought processes and Inventions
- He laid the foundation for deductive electrocardiography.
- Applied vectorocardiographic principles to scalar ECG and helped understand mechanism of ventricular chamber enlargements
- He was instrumental to analyse the genesis of current from the myocardium . He tried to reason out the contribution of cell metabolism, hypoxia, electrolytes to the current genesis.
- Polarising myocardium with GIK infusion STEMI was proposed by him
- Finally he tried to incorporate the laws of thermodynamics into electrocardiography .
Please remember , Sodi pallare’s conscience is still largely unexplored .There are lots of hidden truths .We now know fever can influence qrs voltage and febrile illness can trigger ventricular tachycardia as in of Brugada syndromes.
Today’s youngsters can take a few cues from this great man and enlighten the field of electro-cardiology
If modern-day cardiologist is able to interpret the ECG by a cursory 3 second scan of strip of waves , we are greatly indebted to the knowledge imbibed by this great man from Mexico !