IVC filter usage has increased many fold in recent years.Please note , it is not indicated in every case of recurrent DVT/or PE. There are specific indications.
Permanent IVC filters
- Patients at risk for DVT /PE with absolute contraindication to anti-coagulants.
- Recurrent DVT/PE in spite of adequate anti-coagulation
Temporary /Retrievable filters*
- It is used during high risk periods for DVT following major trauma or Bariatric/Spinal /Neuro surgery (PREPIC 2 study ) .*Some of the retrievable filters can be kept for months ,years or even permanently. (If the risk period extends or it has trapped a huge clot.)
Outcome of IVC filter (PREPIC -8 year follow up study )
- Reduces risk of PE
- Increases risk of DVT
- No impact on long term survival
- Clogging of IVC remain an important Issue