Pessimism, from the Latin pessimus (worst), is a state of mind which negatively colors the perception of life, especially with regard to future events.
Understanding pessimism is not that simple . Some people argue optimism represents a strong mind while a pessimism is the domain of the weak . But it is not necessarily true. Both pessimist and optimist are unreal , and playing the dangerous game of predicting the future. So realism is the answer .
In this era of information highways , commercial exploitation of science , our thought process is grossly determined by our perception of events.We hardly have an intention or time to analyse our thought process.
- An optimist ( Rather , unregulated optimist ! ) is a person who welcomes any growth good or bad.*
- A pessimist is a person who welcomes only good growth.*
So how to identify good growth ? That is the million dollar question!
- Many of the optimists may not bother about the final outcome of a treatment *
- A pessimist bothers only about that .
- An optimist rarely asks questions, blindly accepts every thing !
- A pessimist never believes any thing !
Actually the fundamental principle of scientific medicine lies in proving the null hypothesis null and void.Any treatment is useless until proved other wise . So pessimist can be argued to follow true science , while many of the hardcore optimists are blind believers ..
*It may be a harsh way of interpreting an optimist but uncontrolled optimism has played havoc in our patients like many of the failed treatments (Some of them released prematurely into patient domain has killed many lives . Power of positive thinking should be within the realms of scientific feasibility !
So in our journey to conquer human health , we may proceed with an optimistic mind and a pessimistic eyes !
This understanding is all the more important in this era of contaminated science .It is a well known fact , now last 50 years of planet earth has inflicted the maximum damage to ourselves than our ancestors did in 5000 years. That’s why we are compelled to meet at Copenhagen .(We never learn from our mistakes, that’s a different story !) .
There is definite and urgent need for world summit on cleansing the medical science from the clutches of commerce and ignorance . A medical green house effect, with dangerous holes in health care is imposing on us (Another pessimistic thought . . . of course in the interest of human kind !)
World health organization , a sleeping giant has to be awakened on this issue
Mankind has evolved over many millenniums , probably with a sole purpose of living , that is reproduction and propagation of our genre without harming the environment and other species.
Unrestricted and unregulated growth of any kind is dangerous we call it as malignancy in pathology .In science , we tend to call it a” great future ”
Our sixth sense* has outgrown miserably out of reality , as have we decided to take on the nature and GOD .Now , many developing country men do not believe in death .They are fighting a losing battle against the God. And they suffer with escalating health costs of keeping the elderly , alive who are knocking at the doors of heaven or hell . The same countries, which deny funds for curable illnesses of the poor is a different story altogether !
The principle of modern medicine would ideally be
- Reduce human suffering irrespective of economic status
- Curing a illness if there is a cure
- Prolonging life if there is useful purpose
- Allow a good quality death if there is no cure.
- Most importantly , prey to god give us strength and capacity to identify which is good and which is bad for our patients .
Read and learn for a complete guide on optimism and pessimism
* It is important to recognise , the same sixth sense has made it possible to share our views through a great tool of Internet . So we should not be against the growth of science but against the misuses and wrong interpretations of it .
The traditional characters of a pessimist
Read Full Post »